Is it just me or are a lot of us talking too much about the wrong thing, or am I just following the wrong people? The “it” topic for conversation over recent times appears to be very one-sided and all about sourcing and not about selection.
Try it for yourself. Spend 5 minutes (or longer if you have it) categorising your recruitment-related twitter posts or even search #recruitment. What do you find? Here are the topics on my twitter this morning:
“Social sourcing” … “applicant behaviour”… “candidate journey”, “search”… “employment brand”… “Boolean”… “must have traits of a recruiter”… “recruitment marketing”… “social media recruiting framework”… “apply now”… “job search”… “tips for candidates”… “talent pipeline”… “hiring”… “sales tricks”… “engagement”… and more “hiring now”
All great topics, but where is the conversation on “selection”? I know finding and attracting great people is extremely important but surely selecting the right people once you have done all that hard work is the quintessential skill of a great recruiter. No amount of ‘ninja-boolean-social-marketing-search’ skill is going to guarantee you find the gold nugget.
I wonder why we don’t talk about selection as much as we do sourcing? Is it because:
- Recruiters have lost control of the selection strategy and therefore unable to influence it?
- There is an ‘all care and no responsibility’ attitude once a candidate goes company/manager-side?
- ‘Selection’ is not sexy or interesting?
- We have been swept away by the latest ‘social’ and digital fads on sourcing, marketing, brand and taken our eye off the ball?
- It is a competitive advantage that the ones doing it well simply don’t want to share?
- We’re not that good at it and we don’t have many new ideas?
- I follow the wrong people?
Everyday I am inspired online by the great ideas, challenges and innovations that push our profession onwards. However, I suggest we are missing a significant part of our contribution to creating great companies by not putting as much thought and energy into innovative, challenging and leading ideas about the selection process. I have so much to learn and would love to see more topics such as this in my twitter feed:
“data-driven selection”… “rethinking the interview process”… “predictive selection tools”… “gamifying candidate experience”… “automation”… “influencing hiring decisions”… “testing innovations”… “source of selection (not hire)”… “segmented selection strategies” . . and so on and so on.
[Tweet “So, I need to start walking the talk. Next blog = “Re-thinking Candidate Selection”. Feel free to join me.”]
This blog post first appeared on LinkedIn Pulse on November 22, 2015
Leave a Reply