This Week in Talent (27th October)
Hi everyone – my last TWIT for the month of October is NOW!
I’ve really enjoyed doing the TWIT again. It’s such a great way for me (a busy, important, and equally lazy gal with a job in talent acquisition) to keep up to date on talent things happening around the place.
I thought for this last issue I could share some tips, tools, and cool things with you – recruitment and not recruitment related. My gift to you so you can be your most mindful, productive, zen self at all times.
- Focus and Mindfulness.
- My brain is hard to tie down – I’m easily distracted by shiny, fluorescent objects and lose interest in things really quickly. I know this about myself, and a big distraction for me is social media (Instagram and TikTok in particular). I just downloaded the app ScreenZen as an intervention for my mindless scrolling. My physio is particularly pleased after I injured my neck recently in what I thought was a gym-related injury that turned out to be a TikTok related injury (aka staring down at my phone too much type of injury).
- Community and Networking.
- If you aren’t already, get yourself involved in these Slack groups. Resources For Humans, People Geeks and People People. Rubberband is also a fantastic resource for networking in Australia within the internal and agency recruitment industry.
- Values and Doing What’s Right.
- I came across this interactive training website recently called Stand Up Against Street Harassment which teaches you how to advocate for yourself or others in the event of being harassed or abused in public. Interesting to see all the different options there are that are non-confrontational and super effective. Give this a whirl!
- Little Rituals.
- Something I like to do is little rituals that help me unwind, or wind up depending on the event/mood. I do most of my laundry on ‘Washing Wednesday’, I do an at-home facial on Sunday evenings before I start my week, I use my good (and divine smelling) body moisturiser and use my special fancy perfume on days when I have something special on. What are your tiny rituals?
Leading into the last few months of the year can be manic, particularly as everyone is clawing their way to the Xmas/New Year break. Tempers are short, patience is gone, and burnout is real. I think it’s important to take time out for yourself, and your mind, and connect with your fellow talent community.
Speaking of … only 2 weeks to go until our ATC event for internal talent acquisition peeps at Luna Park! Get your tickets here. The lineup is insanely good, and there are rides.
Improving the quality of applications you receive
Making the right hiring decisions is vital to any organisation’s success. Ideally, you’ll start with a strong pool of candidates. So, how do you increase the quality of the job applications you receive? Here are some simple steps! *spon*
DEI To Fix The Tech Talent Shortage
Studies show that diverse companies outperform less diverse companies financially every time. Some useful tips in this article on how to ensure your recruitment process is diverse, and you are attracting diverse people to your roles.
An Interesting Way To Get Noticed As A Candidate
A creative, and delicious, way to get noticed by a recruiter. Also, a lovely story to go with it.
Companies are being forced to reveal what a job pays. It’s a start.
New laws being implemented in the US will see companies forced to display job salaries in their job advertisements. If you’re not doing this already, get up to speed. It’s surprising how many jobs don’t display salaries, and I know if I was looking for work I would hesitate before applying for a job with no salary displayed.
How the Pandemic Made ‘Caregiver’ the Newest Workplace Identity
Workers with caregiving responsibilities are the fastest-growing category of employee identity groups. Caregivers aren’t just parents – they are grandchildren, friends, aunts, and uncles. A pandemic trend that seems to be growing.
3 Ways Aussie workplaces are about to change forever
Some legalities in the HR space are about to change for the better and will make it easier and less scary for employees that are victims of harassment at work to notify their employers.
How To Create A Workplace Culture To Attract Top Talent
A huge focus point for us at the moment – leveraging EVP, and getting the message out that we’re a great place to work. Some good tips in this article!
Leave a Reply
Sign up to our newsletter
Get a weekly digest on the latest in Talent Acquisition.Deliver this goodness to my inbox!